Sunday, August 7, 2016

07/08/2016 - the best overnight oats, granola, and poldark


I discovered on Friday that my reporting officer is fascinated by the family of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I, and we had a nice conversation ruminating over how Elizabeth could stand her father after he killed her mother.

Mum, Tim and I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on Friday night, and I also baked the best granola of my life - it really does taste like coco pops, and is perfect on top of a bowl of melty nice cream. Unfortunately I don't measure my ingredients when making granola, but it went something like this:

3 cups of oats
2 flax eggs
Handful crushed walnuts
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
Dessicated coconut
7 ish tbsp maple syrup

The important thing, I've realized, is to spread the granola out thinly on a sheet. And also to use your hands to squeeze some clusters.

In less than half an hour, you have crunchy, dark-chocolatey granola.

Another hands down winner of a recipe I have discovered is the best overnight oats recipe ever. I adapted it from Jamie Oliver's Pukkolla.

Oats
1 grated apple
1 chopped up banana
A handful of raisins
Half soya milk
Half coconut milk (This is non-negotiable, it makes it so so creamy)

In the morning, a splash more coconut milk, some brown sugar or maple syrup, and it's good to go.

This morning I woke up and made pancakes while dancing to this groovy tune. After two good recipe discoveries I suppose that my luck had run out, and since I experimented with a new pancake recipe they turned out rather bread-y.

Hannah has returned, and we have promptly gotten hooked on Poledark, a British period drama with a dark and brooding hero, a simpering and pathetic love interest, a feisty and strong future love interest, and lots of beautiful shots of Cornwall (now definitely on my go to list!).

1 comment:

  1. DO YOU MEAN POLDARK BC AIDAN TURNER IS THE PROTAGONIST!!

    ReplyDelete